High School Basketball Coach
Posted By: Amy McMahon
Willows Academy, Des Plaines
Job Description :
Position: High School Basketball Coach
Reports to: Athletic Director/Director of Operations
1. Special Knowledge/Skills:
1. Has the ability to organize, direct, and supervise a total sport program.
2. Has substantial knowledge of the technical aspects of the sport and is willing to examine new theories and procedures important to the field.
3. Has the ability, desire, and knowledge to be totally conscious of the sensitive nature of adolescent development. It is expected that this role will empower the coach with the ability
to provide the student with an atmosphere in which each person is treated with respect and dignity, that opportunity is available to improve skill development, and there is a climate conducive to accumulation of knowledge through a cooperative learning experience. Through his/ her conduct, the coach will provide the expression of professional attributes, good sportsmanship, and will serve as a positive role model for our students.
2. Experience: Has previous experience as an effective coach in the assigned sport.
The purpose of The Willows Academy athletic program is meant to help students with the opportunity to discover new talents and interests, to develop skills, to work together to achieve common goals, and to provide healthy recreation and competition.
Athletic activities should reflect the following priorities, listed in order of importance:
1. God; 2. Family; 3. Academics; 4. Athletic Interests; 5. Social Life. The goals of The Willows Academy athletic participation are to: 1. Teach character lessons through individual and team participation and competition; 2. Involve as many members of the student body as possible; 3. Inspire and develop school spirit; 4. Provide opportunities in selected activities for talented and motivated students to demonstrate their skills and development in interscholastic competition; 5. Demonstrate positively to the wider community the quality and diversity of The Willows Academy.
- Has a thorough knowledge of all the athletic policies approved by The Willows Academy Athletic Department, and is responsible for their implementation by the entire staff of his/her sport program.
- Conduct themselves in an appropriate professional manner, serving as a role model for the studentathletes.
- Has knowledge of the existing systems, state and league regulations, implements the sameconsistently, and interprets them for his/her staff.
- Understands the proper administrative line of command; refers all request or grievances throughproper channels; and is aware of all public/staff/departmental meetings that require his/her attendance.
- Is fully responsible for the overall supervision of the program.
- Is in charge of assignments and duties of assistant coaches working in the sport.
- Is responsible for keeping practice periods for the sport within the confines of the time specified by the Athletic Director.
- Is responsible for the general upkeep and protection of equipment under his/her jurisdiction.
- Is responsible for a complete inventory of equipment used for the sport.
- Is responsible for submitting a summary of the yearly program with all necessary reports for the end of the season data.
- Is responsible to be available to assist in preparing practice and game field/court for practice or games.